1. Melt the butter in saucepan add the diced onion and cook for 3-4 minutes without colour then add the puy lentils and stir.
2. Add the chicken stock enough to cover the lentils and 2 inches above, you can now cover the lentils with greaseproof paper and simmer for around 30-mins or until the lentils are just cooked.
3. The lentils should not be over covered with the stock as the lentils once cooked will be soggy just add enough stock as you need it to cover your lentils.
4. Mean while season your wood pigeon seal both sides of your bird in a hot saucepan and cook in a hot oven for 2-3 minutes and then rest the breast should be cooked medium rare.
5. Once the bird has rested cut through the breast and wing bone of 1 side of the bird.
6. To serve mix the lentils with the cooked carrot, fresh herbs and a little raspberry & thyme dressing place on the plate with the breast on top and a small rocket salad.
Recipe provided by the Lamb Inn, Hindon, Wiltshire